Conversations in Type: the influence of Beatrice Warde on grammar, syntax, composition and response
Category: Ph.D. Research
This Ph.D. research project, ‘Conversations in Type: the influence of Beatrice Warde on grammar, syntax, composition and response', will investigate the understanding of and responses to type and typography. This research will critically assess the ideas and influence of Beatrice Warde. It will examine the formation of her views and approaches and assess how Warde has determined typographic understanding. Data will be gathered from interviews to establish the scope of her influence on contemporary work with type and responses to type.
The aims of the investigation are:
- To investigate the typographic theories of Beatrice Warde;
- To discuss the extent to which Warde defined the subject and determined typographic understanding and thinking;
- To analyse Warde's use of language in the creation of a general typographic vocabulary;
- To assess Warde's influence on contemporaneous and subsequent typographic commentators;
- To establish the extent of Warde's influence on contemporary typographic designers.