The most significant holdings are contained in the Chained Library which is housed in a purpose-built building, together with the Mappa Mundi. The Chained Library has some 1500 books which date from the late fifteenth- to the early nineteenth-centuries of which 56 are incunabula. They are chiefly concerned with, biblical studies, theology, law and church history.
In addition there are a large number of printed books that are not chained, including: the library of the Vicars Choral at Hereford Cathedral with 582 volumes chiefly from the sixteenth- and seventeenth-centuries, and added to the Cathedral Library when the college was dissolved in 1937; around 150 sixteenth- and seventeenth-century volumes from the Jesuit Library at Cwm; 242 sixteenth- and seventeenth-century volumes from the theological portion of Stoke Edith House, which was the gift of Paul Foley in 1925.
Other collections include:
Music part-books, both manuscript and printed, used by the organists and choirs at the Cathedral from the late seventeenth- to the nineteenth-centuries;
the Chained Library of All Saints’ Church, bequeathed to that church by Dr William Brewster in 1715. It was sold in 1995 and purchased for the Mappa Mundi Trust. It contains the theological part of Brewster’s Library including works on travel, literature and science;
the Library of Lady Hawkins School at Kington: deposited by the Governors of the School in 1978. It has around 260 volumes printed between 1494-1782, chiefly theology with some science, classics, grammar and geography.
Hereford Cathedral Library & Archives, Hereford Cathedral, Hereford HR1 2NG
Tel: 01432 374225/6