1) Aims: The Fondazione Torrita Cultura is holding an international artist competition with the aim to promote and support the artist’s book. The competition will select 30 works (divided into two sections, Under30- and Over30-years of age) and subsequentially see to the organisation of exhibitions, the publication of a catalogue, and the awarding of prizes in money. The exhibition of the selected works, the vote and award ceremony will take place in Torrita di Siena (Siena–Italy), on the occasion of the “Borgo dei Libri” week festival, during the month of May 2018.
2) Entry Requirements: The competition is open to any artist, both Italian and international, working with the artist’s book and whose proposed works will illustrate the 2018 edition’s theme of ‘The Moon’. The competition is divided into two sections: Section Under30 years of age–for young artists who have not yet celebrated their 30th birthday on the deadline date; Section Over30 years of age–for artists of any age.
3) Application procedures: To participate the applicants must submit an application by 30 January 2018 in one of the following ways: a) ONLINE: Submitting the application form ‘Attachment A’ fully filled in and signed to the email address firstname.lastname@example.org by 30 January 2018. b) MAIL: Submitting the application form ‘Attachment B’ fully filled in and signed to the Fondazione Torrita Cultura, Piazza Nazione Unite 10, 53049 Torrita di Siena (SI, Italy). With respect to the application deadline of 30 January 2018 the postmark will serve as proof. c) In both cases, applicants must also attach: a brief CV listing education and exhibition history; one or more images of the proposed work in JPG or TIFF format (300 dpi, RGB), specifying the title of the work, name of the artist, date, technique, dimensions (height x width x depth). The above documentation may be submitted in either a physical or digital copy, in the latter case in formats such as JPG, TIFF (300 dpi, RGB), PDF, WORD.
Applicants by mail must sumbit such documentation in a sealed envelope and via traceable order, at the artist’s expenses, or by hand to the Fondazione Torrita Cultura, Piazza Nazione Unite 10, 53049 Torrita di Siena (SI, Italy).
4) Support works: In order to offer a better understanding of the artist’s oeuvre, it is possible to sumbit images of extra works in support of the one proposed for the competition, to a maximum of 3 extra works, in the ways above described in #3. The support works will not be considered for the competition selection.
5) Commitee and selection procedure: The submitted works will be judged by a committee of experts consisting of Rebecca Carnevali, Nicolas Martino, Paola Gribaudo, Enrico Pulsoni and Antonello Tolve, whose decisions will be final and unappealable. After the closing of the competition, the committee will select 15 works for the Under30 Section and 15 for the Over30 Section and will ask the selected artists to sumbit their works for the collective exhibition. The expenses for the shipping and later return (see #11 below) of the selected works will be covered by the applicants. Among the selected 30 works, the committee will appoint the winners of the Under30 and Over30 sections. The decision of the committee will be final and unappealable.
6) Prizes: The prizes will be divided as follows: The first prize for the Under30 section will be € 1.000 gross; The second for the Under30 section will be € 500 gross; The first prize for the Over30 section will be € 1.000 gross; The second for the Over30 section will be € 500 gross; A retention tax (currently 25%) will be imposed on the gross amounts of all prizes indicated above. The prizes in money are to be considered as payments for the provision of work or services in the form of the works submitted. The winning works will remain the property of the Fondazione Torrita Cultura. All other selected works will instead remain property of the artists.
The Promoting Institution, i.e. the Fondazione Torrita Cultura, does not take responsibility at any stage of the competition for the failure to notify applicants due to: loss of communications or incorrect information of contact details; the lack of or late communication of any change of contact details; for eventual postal setbacks or network failures also attributable to others, due to acccidental causes or circumstances beyond the applicant’s control
7) Awarding Ceremony and publication: The awarding ceremony will take place in Torrita di Siena (Siena-Italy) on the occasion of the opening of the “Borgo dei Libri” week festival during the month of May 2018. Patroness of the award will be Maria Gioia Tavoni. In addition to the prizes in money, the winning works and those shortlisted will be included in the exhibition catalogue published by the Tipografia Rossi (Sinalunga, Siena-Italy).
8) Copyright of the works: The winning works, as well as those shortlisted, in the copy submitted for the competition (that includes the original prints and indicates the press run of the edition) and also the editions eventually winning or shortlisted as explained above in single copy, will remain the property of the Promoting Institution, i.e. the Fondazione Torrita Cultura, and may be used in future exhibitions.
9) Legal responsibility: The Promoting Institution, i.e. the Fondazione Torrita Cultura, although committing to the utmost care and custody of the submitted works, does not take responsibility for eventual thefts, fires or damages of whatever nature to such works which could take place during the different stages of the competition and ceremony. Any request for insurance on the works must be met by the relevant artists.
10) Final rules and personal information: The Committee’s decision will be final and unappealable and participation in the competition implies the acceptance of all terms and conditions. In compliance with the D. Lgs. 30 giugno 2003, n. 196 “Codice in materia di protezione dei dati personali” (concerning the protection of personal information) and its successive revisions, any personal information disclosed in the applications will be treated in respect to the mentioned legislation and in compliance with the legal obligations.
11) Return of the works: The shortlisted works that will not win will be either returned by carriage forward a month after the announcement of the winners and the subsequent exhibition or may be personally collected at the Fondazione Torrita Cultura in Torrita di Siena (Siena-Italy). In case the artist of a work that has not won would like to donate a copy to the Promoting Institution, i.e the Fondazione Torrita Cultura, the latter reserves the right to accept such a work to include it in its collections.